Saturday, May 5, 2007

A very long day but with good ending at US embassy

Another quick update without pictures. I had the longest day today at the U.S. embassy. I had a 9 'clock visa appointment and by the time i got out, it was 3:30! During this time only about a total of 10 minutes is the actual "appointment", the rest is just waiting, and more waiting....I waited about an hour just to get inside the embassy, another hour or so to have someone check on my documents (all she did was scribble something and put some stamp on my app form), then another hour or so to do the fingerprint, then it comes the ultimate wait for interview. In what seems like an eternity I start to think of all sorts of worst case scenarios. What if they refuse my visa because I am not a Costa-Rican and I am currently not a student, not employed, and have no proof of a strong tie with my home country (one of the suggested material to bring to the interview). i start to get paranoid and that makes the wait seem even longer. At long last it was my turn and much to my delight, the interviewer is really nice and friendly. The whole interview took last than 5 minutes and non of the extra material i prepared was asked for (bank statement, onward ticket and all that stuff). I was even given the flexibility to pick up my passport any afternoon next week! I came out of the embassy relieved, and starving! :)Now we can shift the focus back on the trip again and think about how we will spend our time in Costa Rica. more update to come.

No comments: